Class 9 Computer Science Chapter 2 Operating System and Its Importance Question Answer, SEBA Class 9 Computer Science Solutions, NCERT Class 9 Computer Science Chapter 2 Operating System and Its Importance to each chapter is provided in the list so that you can easily browse throughout different chapters SCERT Class 9 Computer Science Chapter 2 Operating System and Its Importance and select needs one.
Class 9 Computer Science Chapter 2 Operating System and Its Importance
Also, you can read the SCERT book online in these sections Solutions by Expert Teachers as per SCERT (CBSE) Book guidelines. NCERT Solution of Class 9 Computer Science Chapter 2 Operating System and Its Importance is part of AHSEC All Subject Solutions. Here we have given Class 9 Computer Science Chapter 2 Operating System and Its Importance Notes for All Subjects, You can practice these here in Class 9 Computer Science.
Operating System and Its Importance
Chapter – 2
TEXTUAL QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
OBJECTIVE TYPE QUESTIONS
1. Choose the correct option.
(a) Which of the following is an operating system?
(4) All of these
Ans: (4) All of these.
(b) Which Opreting System is developed by CDAC, Chennai?
(4) None of these
Ans: (2) BOSS.
(c) Which OS has fixed deadline?
(2) Real – time
(4) Batch Processing
Ans: (2) Real-time.
(d) Name a multiuser Operating system.
(4) None of these
Ans: (3) Unix.
(e) Neme a version of macOS.
(2) High Sierra
(4) All of these
Ans: (4) All of these.
(f) In which year was Windows OS released?
Ans: (2) 1985 .
2. Fill in the blanks.
(a) _____ is the founder of Microsoft Corporation.
Ans: Bill Gates.
(b) An operating system is a program which acts as an _______ between a user and the hardware.
(c) The operating system decides which job should use the _____ and for how long .
(d) A computer system works with _______.
(e) Windows is an example of _______ operating system.
(f) Unix was originally developed in _______ by a group of AT&T employees.
3. State true or false.
(a) Microsoft Windows has 15 versions since its first release in 1985.
(b) Linux is different from proprietary software like Windows, which can be modified by the company that owns it.
(c) iOS is Apple’s mobile operating system.
(d) The latest version of Android is Unnati.
(e) Windows come pre-loaded on most new PCs.
(f) macOS is Apple’s mobile operating system.
DESCRIPTIVE TYPE QUESTIONS
4. Short answer questions.
1. What is an Operating system?
Ans. An operating system is the most important software that runs on a computer. It manages the computer’s memory and processes, as well as all of its software and hardware. It also allows you to communicate with the computer without knowing how to speak the computer’s language.
2. Mention the names of any two commonly used operating system.
Ans. The commonly used operating system are
1. Windows Operating system
2. iOS Operating system etc.
3. When was the first version of Apple iOS released?
Ans. The first version of Apple iOS was released on 29 July 2007.
4. What do you mean by multitasking?
Ans. Multitasking, in an operating system, allows a user to perform more than one computer task at a time.
5. What is real-time operating system?
Ans. In real-time OS, the jobs have fixed deadlines and the jobs have to be completed within their deadlines. The system’s performance is measured by its ability to complete its jobs within the specified deadlines.
Examples are LynxOS, Windows CE etc.
6. What is time sharing and distributive operating system?
Ans. Time Sharing OS – A time-sharing operating system is an operating system design that allows multiple users or processes to concurrently share the same system resources, such as the CPU, memory, and peripherals.
Distributive OS – Distributive operating system is designed to share its workload over multiple servers. It shares data and resources among its multiple servers to get maximum efficiency.
5. Long answer questions.
1. Explain any Five functions of an Operating system.
Ans. Important functions of an operating system are :
1. Processor Management: In a multi-programming environment, the OS decides the order in which processes have access to the processor, and how much processing time each process has. This function of OS is called Process Scheduling. An Operating System performs the following activities for Processor Management.
2. Memory Management: An Operating system keeps tracks of primary memory, i.e., what part of it are in use by whom, what part are not in use. It decides which process will get memory when and how much. It allocates the memory when a process requests it to do so and de- allocates the memory when a process no longer needs it or has been terminated.
3. Device Management: An Operating system manages device communication via their respective devices. It keeps tracks of all devices and decides which process gets the device when and for how much time. It allocates and de-allocates the device in the efficient way.
4. Security: The operating system uses password protection to protect user data and similar other techniques. it also prevents unauthorized access to programs and user data. The operating system provides various techniques which assure the integrity and confidentiality of user data. Following security measures are used to protect user data:
- Protection against unauthorized access through login.
- Protection against intrusion by keeping firewall active.
- Protecting the system memory against malicious access.
- Displaying messages related to system vulnerabilities.
5. File Management: It manages the files, folders, directories of the computer system.
2. Explain any two- operating system used in mobile phones.
Ans. Android and iOS (iPhone Operating System) are the examples of the operating system that are used in mobile phones.
Android OS: Android is a mobile operating system based on a modified version of the Linux kernel and other open-source software, designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets.
iOS: Apple iOS is a proprietary mobile operating system that runs on mobile devices such as the iPhone and iPad. It is designed to run on Apple devices like iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc The first version of Apple iOS was released on 29 July 2007.
3. Write a short note on Windows operating system.
Ans. Windows is a graphical operating system developed by Microsoft.It allows users to view and store files, run the software, play games, watch videos, and provides a way to connect to the internet. It was released for both home computing and professional works. Microsoft introduced the first version as 1.0.
4. Write a note on the Operating systems created by Apple.
Ans. Mac OS, operating system (OS) developed by the American computer company Apple Inc. The OS was introduced in 1984 to run the company’s Macintosh line of personal computers ( pCs).
5. What is BOSS?
Ans: Bharat Operating System Solution, also known as BOSS, is a GNU/Linux-based Free/Open source distribution derived from Debian. It has an upgraded desktop environment that supports local Indian languages.
It is developed by Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC) in order for enhancing and gain benefit from the usage of Free and Open Source Software throughout India.
6. Write a short note on Bill Gates.
Ans. The real name of Bill Gates is William Henry Gates III who was born on 28th October 1955. He is an American businessman, software developer etc.. He is the founder of person of Microsoft Corporation. At Microsoft, in his career he hold the positions of chairman, chief executive officer (CEO), president and chief software creator. Microsoft Windows Operating System has 10 versions after its release in November 1985. Over 35 years later, Windows looks very different but somehow survived as per the time and most recently a shifted from keyboard and mouse to touch screens.
7. What is Interactive Operating system? Where is it used?
Ans. An interactive operating system is one that allows the user to directly interact with the operating system while one or more programs are running. There will be an user interface in place to allow this to happen. It could be a command line style of interface or could be a graphical interface.
Interactive operating systems are computer systems characterized by significant amounts of interaction between humans and the computer.Most users have grown up using Macintosh or Windows computer operating systems, which are prime examples of graphical interactive systems. Games and simulations are interactive systems.
8. What are the two important features that must be taken care while maintaining a directory?
Ans. The two important features that must be taken care while maintaining a directory are given below:
(i) A user must have freedom of giving the desired name to the file, without taking into consideration that same file names are used by other users on the system.
(ii) A user must be able to share the files he creates and he must also be able to access the files, created by other users.
Hi, I’m Dev Kirtonia, Founder & CEO of Dev Library. A website that provides all SCERT, NCERT 3 to 12, and BA, B.com, B.Sc, and Computer Science with Post Graduate Notes & Suggestions, Novel, eBooks, Biography, Quotes, Study Materials, and more.