Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is a government initiative scheme, which aims in providing affordable housing to the urban poor by 2022. This government-based scheme was launched on 25th June 2015. The implementation period of the PMAY- urban scheme has been extended until 31 December 2024.
|Name||Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY)|
|Launched||25 June 2015|
|Ministry||Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation|
|Key People||Hardeep Singh Puri|
What is Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is government initiative scheme for the poor urban and rural peoples in which they are provided affordable houses.
It has two components –
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-U
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-G
Also Read: Tata Capital Business Loan
Benefits of PMAY Scheme
- The interest subsidy rate provided by the scheme is up to 6.5% on housing loan to all beneficiaries taking loans with a tenure up to 20 years
- It offers affordable housing to the individuals and families belonging to the economically challenged section of the society
- Under this scheme differently able and senior citizens will get the preference of having a house on the ground floor
- Houses will be constructed using the sustainable and eco-friendly technologies
- Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana also applies for upgrading a ‘kutcha house’ to a ‘pucca house’ under the Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) component
- Other minorities are also preferred under PMAY, including the transgender community, widows and members belonging to the lower-income group
Key Beneficiaries of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Scheme
The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana mainly caters to the housing needs of the urban poor. The scheme also caters to the housing requirements of the slum dwellers residing in confined areas of slums with inadequate infrastructure, poor sanitation, and poor drinking facilities.
The key beneficiaries under the PMAY scheme are as follows:
Beneficiaries of PMAY mainly includes –
- Economically Weaker Section (EWS) of the society
- Scheduled castes and scheduled tribes
- OBC categories and women belonging to EWS and LIG income groups
- PMAY is applicable to the borrowers belonging to the Middle-income Groups, Low-income Groups, and Economically Weaker sections of the society
|Middle Income Group (MIG I)||Rs 6 lakh to Rs 12 lakh|
|Middle Income Group (MIG II)||Rs 12 lakh to Rs 18 lakh|
|Lower Income Group (LIG)||Rs 3 lakh to Rs 6 lakh|
|Economically Weaker Section (EWS)||Up to Rs 3 lakh|
Types of PMAY Scheme
1. Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban)
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Urban (PMAY-U) is focussed towards the urban areas in India. At present, there are 4,331 towns and cities which are enlisted under this scheme.
2. Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Gramin)
The Pradhan Mantri Yojana – Gramin (PMAY-G) which was previously known as Indira Awas Yojana was inaugurated as PMAY-G in the year 2016. This scheme aims at providing affordable and accessible housing units to eligible beneficiaries in rural regions of India.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Eligibility Criteria
- Income: One should fall under the category of EWS,LIG or MIG. However if the family’s annual income exceeds the income range for the MIG group, which is Rs 18 lakh per year, they would not be eligible to avail the benefits under this scheme
- New Property Purchase: PMAY is only available for the new property purchase. Also, an applicant must not possess any other pucca properties when applying for the said credit-linked scheme
- The beneficiaries must not have availed any central assistance or benefits from any other housing scheme beforehand.
- The house or property for purchase must belong to one of the areas, towns, villages or cities as per the Census
How to Apply for PMAY Scheme
To apply for the PMAY scheme through online, you must follow the following steps as mentioned below:
- Visit the official website of PMAY
- Click on the ‘Citizen Assessment’ option
- Applicant must enter his/her Aadhar number
- After successfully submitting the Aadhar number, he/she will be redirected to the application page
- Applicant must enter all the relevant details on this page, including income details, personal details, bank account details and other necessary information
- After saving the application form, applicants should download the filled application form
- Finally, the person can deposit the form at his/her nearest CSC office or a financial institution offering PMAY. Applicants must also submit all the necessary documents with the form
Applicants can also apply for the PMAY scheme through offline mode at the authorized bank branch.
Certain documents are required to apply for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Scheme –
For Salaried Individuals:
- ID proof
- Address proof
- Income proof
- Property documents
For Self-employed Individuals:
- ID proof
- Address proof for business
- Income proof etc.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) Calculator
PMAY aims the process of purchasing a home for the urban poor and weaker sections of the society through affordable EMIs and at a reasonable rate of interest. The rate of interest of PMAY is comparatively much lower than commercial rates, thus offering people subsidised loans.
To calculate the EMI for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana you must visit the official website and fill all the details such as total loan amount, rate of interest, tenure etc. Once all the details are entered, click on the calculate option and you will get the result instantly of your monthly EMI you will have to pay monthly towards your loan amount.
1. What is Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Scheme?
Ans: Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is government initiative scheme for the poor urban and rural peoples in which they are provided affordable houses.
2. What are the two types of PMAY schemes?
Ans: Two types of PMAY schemes are – PMAY – Urban and PMAY – Gramin.
3. How much time does it take to get the subsidy amount from PMAY?
Ans: It usually takes around 3 to 4 months for the subsidy amount from PMAY.
4. What is the maximum annual income one must have to be eligible for PMAY?
Ans: One’s annual income should not be more than Rs 18 lakhs. However, there are no lower limits for the PMAY income requirement.
5. What is the maximum tenure for the PMAY scheme?
Ans: The maximum tenure for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana scheme is 20 years.
6. What are the documents required to apply for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana scheme?
Ans: Documents such as ID proof, address proof, income proof, business proof etc., are required to apply for PMAY scheme.
Hi, I’m Dev Kirtonia, Founder & CEO of Dev Library. A website that provides all SCERT, NCERT 3 to 12, and BA, B.com, B.Sc, and Computer Science with Post Graduate Notes & Suggestions, Novel, eBooks, Biography, Quotes, Study Materials, and more.